Permits and Applications

On this page, you will find information about permit applications. There are two main types of permit applications: Development Permit’s and Building Permit’s. If you are seeking preliminary feedback on a potential application, you may complete and submit a Pre-Application form to solicit initial feedback from The Municipality of Emerson-Franklin.

Pre-Application Process

In advance of making a formal land use application, an applicant may submit a “Pre-Application” to request feedback regarding the following:

  • A rezoning
  • A subdivision
  • A variance
  • A conditional use
  • A secondary plan
  • An amendment to an existing agreement imposed as a condition of approval of a previous development application
  • An amendment to the Development Plan or Zoning By-law, or
  • Any combination of the above.

Development Application Process

‘Development Application’ means any application in connection with a development, approval, order, by-law or amendment that would allow a development. Development is defined as:

  • the construction of a building on, over or under land;
  • a change in the use or intensity of use of a building or land;
  • the removal of soil or vegetation from land; and
  • the deposit or stockpiling of soil or material on land and the excavation of land.

A development permit authorizes you to develop a property that is subject to a zoning by-law. The application may be processed and approved either through a Public Hearing process or administratively by a Development Officer designated by the Municipality. A development application process typically involves the following: 

  • Development Plan Amendments
  • Zoning bylaw amendments / rezoning
  • Conditional Use
  • Variance / Minor Variance
  • Site Plan Approval / Design Review

For more information about Development Applications, please see our Development Application guide and form.

Development Application Guide

Development Application Form

Letter of Authorization (individual)

Letter of Authorization (company)

Building Permit Application Process

A building permit gives you legal permission to start the construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and plan specifications. By working with our building inspector, you will benefit from their knowledge of the building codes to ensure your construction project is built right, will be safe, and will last. Safe construction practices help protect you, your family, your friends, and your investment.

When do I need a building permit?

Building Permits are required for the following projects:

  • Single- & Semi-detached dwellings
  • Multiple-family dwellings
  • Attached garages or carports
  • Decks (attached to a dwelling or to an existing attached deck that is over 2ft high)
  • Additions (enclosed decks, sunrooms)
  • Detached accessory structures of 108 sq. ft. or more in building area
  • Structural alterations / renovations
  • Demolition or relocation of any structure
  • Signage
  • Temporary structures 
  • Swimming pools (hot tubs, fish ponds) additionally require a 6ft enclosed fence
  • Plumbing (including sump pits, sump pumps, backwater valves)
  • Wood Stove/Fireplace
  • Basement development (foundation repairs, floodproofing, structure altercation)
  • Electrical including (including air conditioner)
  • Change of use permits

Building Permits are not required for the following:

  • Painting, stucco, siding, shingles where the same material is used.
  • Replacement of doors or windows where the size of the openings is not altered.
  • Installation of cabinets or shelves.
  • Non-structural alterations/renovations.

How can I obtain a Building Permit?

As part of the Building Permit application process, you may be required to provide additional documentation such as:

  • Site Plan including a Survey of property or Staking certificate, location of proposed building/structure, including dimensions of building/structure and distances from all property lines to the proposed building/structure.
  • Building/Structure Plans including both either a digital copy or two paper copies with clearly marked dimensions (a large set must be available on-site), sealed by a Professional Engineer (required and must appear on 1 set of paperwork), and a Letter of Assurance from Engineer (when requested).

Building Permit Application

Development Incentive By-Law